Sunday, November 10, 2013

Egg Nog Cupcakes

I LOVE egg nog!

My husband LOVES egg nog even more than I do!

We are a perfect match--especially in November and December.  Several years ago, I came across a recipe for egg nog cupcakes in a flier from a local dairy store.  Of course, I had to give it a whirl.  It very quickly became one of my husband's favorite desserts, so now it makes an appearance every year on his November birthday.

Seeing as how it's November--and my husband's birthday month--I decided to finally take some pics and post the recipe on my blog. . . and most importantly, pin it on Pinterest so I can find it much more easily every fall!

Now, those of you that know me, know that I never quite end up with the same recipe that I started with, once I have made it a time or two.  This one did not get edited too much, but I did add a few little "Vanessa" touches to perfect the product.  So, for all of you egg nog kindred spirits, out there, here you go. . .

And you're welcome!


Egg Nog Cupcakes

1 box Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
1 box instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 oz full fat plain yogurt
1 cup egg nog
1/3 cup water
3 eggs
 1/3 cup oil
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
 Mix wet, then dry, mixing just enough to combine.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes *Do not over bake!*
 Top with cream cheese buttercream (recipe below)


Cream Cheese Buttercream Egg Nog Frosting:

4 oz cream cheese (softened)
1/2 cup butter (the real stuff, not margarine)
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup egg nog
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp ground cloves
Mix softened cream cheese and butter together until fluffy.  Add egg nog vanilla and cloves.  Slowly add powdered sugar and whip until light and fluffy.  Put in decorator bag and frost cupcakes.


Happy Birthday, Dave.  Here's your egg nog cupcake!
 
 
Oh, and just to spice things up this year (really, I was just lazy), I decided to forego the hassle of cupcakes and I actually whipped this spectacular recipe up into a regular ol' 9 1/2" X 11" cake.  I did increase to baking time to 35 min, but other than that, it is exactly the same.  It's not as impressive in presentation, but equally delicious, I can assure you. 
 
So, if you're nervous about the whole cupcake thing (I understand, I've seen the Pinterest Fail site, too), the cake is WAAAAAAYY easier. . .
 
Happy Birthday, Dave. Here's your egg nog cupcake!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment